Vascular dementia is a type of dementia caused by damage to the blood vessels that supply blood to the brain. Some common signs of vascular dementia include confusion, difficulty with memory, and changes in personality and mood. It’s important to note that these symptoms can also be indicative of other conditions, and a professional diagnosis is necessary for proper treatment.
Here are some common signs that someone may have vascular dementia:
- Confusion or disorientation, especially in unfamiliar surroundings
- Trouble with problem-solving, planning, and making decisions
- Difficulties with memory, especially short-term memory
- Difficulty with language and communication, including slurred speech
- Changes in personality and mood, including depression and anxiety
- Difficulty with walking, balance, and coordination
- Incontinence or problems with bladder control
It’s important to note that these symptoms can also be indicative of other conditions, and a professional diagnosis is necessary for proper treatment.
(source: Alzheimer’s Society)
At Athena Healthcare Group, we specialize in providing care for individuals with vascular dementia. Our team of trained professionals understands the unique challenges faced by those with this condition and is dedicated to providing personalised care to meet each individual’s needs.
Some of the ways we accommodate people with vascular dementia in our care homes include:
- Providing a safe and secure environment to prevent wandering and other potentially dangerous behaviors
- Offering cognitive stimulation activities to engage the mind and help maintain cognitive function
- Providing specialized memory care services to help individuals with memory loss and other cognitive impairments
- Offering support for activities of daily living, such as bathing, dressing, and grooming
- Providing nutritious meals and snacks to support overall health and well-being
- Offering individualized care plans to meet each individual’s unique needs and preferences
If you or a loved one is living with vascular dementia, we’re here to help. Contact us today to learn more about our specialised care services.